3.6.08

The State of The Ion Farmer

For the past year and a half I have been involved with a New Product Introduction that actually transitioned well compared to it's starting point. This was at the expense of as semblance of a personal life, yet amazingly, I was able to close on a house last year and not lose my mind. I lacked the ability to travel within my circle of friends, treated them poorly due to my lack of time. I was on the order of 80 hour weeks not most of the year, with any downtime being used to recuperate. To my friends that read this, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for being sucked into my job and becoming numb. I am aware of this now and am actively seeking to make amends.

I currently find myself on the back end of that now, looking at an industry lull that has a bleak horizon line. I was told that my position with he company is relatively safe because of my seniority. Maybe it's self-preservation or paranoia, but that makes me nervous. It's probably the old submarine days lurking in my subconsciousness that makes me know that when someone says there's nothing to worry about, you should keep you eyes open. For now I will operate with the Submariner's Creedo: "Be Bitter. Admit Nothing. Blame Everyone."

As you can tell not only by this hot streak of 2 posts in 1 week, but by the contents within, I am reflective, introspective. I lost a close friend personally and to my family last April. "Safari" Charlie Cavendish was the king of the Rivers of West Virginia. I lament his passing daily, and as was his way, am left puzzled by it. He was found in his bed and the age of 36. If you truly knew Charlie, you knew that he was too weird to live, and to beautiful to hold captive. His heart was wild and just being in his presence for a while was purely spiritual. An like so many things spiritual, these concepts cannot be understood in a brief time.

Charlie truly felt the weight of this world, a world that can not come to terms with pure individual freedom. Charlie found his passions in nature and in the act of translating that joy, and making the secrets of nature's joy known to the uninitiated. The syllabus was a series of practical demonstrations that if you don't come to understand individual freedom and act in accordance with it, you cannot understand nature and act in accordance with that, and ultimately you cannot understand life as a natural event as a whole and act in accordance with it. I miss him terribly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home