15.8.08

Law 25: Re-Create Yourself

Do not accept the roles that society foists on you. Re-create yourself by forging a new identity, one that commands attention and never bores the audience. Be the master of your own image rather than let others define it for you. Incorporate dramatic devices into your public gestures and actions --- your power will be enhanced and your character will seem larger than life.

This is in the forefront for me now as I struggle with the balance of my current career position and the dawn of a new position. I am become the actor, the role I portray becomes the role I inherit. It is with this thought that I have to define my actions, my demeanor, and the depth of my character, the pivotal position of vision and action imbued with wisdom of decision. I will channel the spirits of those who held this Law as a standard before me. I am Julius Caesar on the banks of the Rubicon. I am Aurore Dupin Dudevant smoking George Sand's cigar. I am Velaquez painting Las Meninas. I am Franklin Roosevelt during the Hundred Days. I am the tip of the whip dreaming of the welt. I am the bullet in the dark chamber of a gun.

I am thinking of a phrase coined by my good friend Chad, about a place we both knew. He said, "This place is a high school with ashtrays." I hear that phrase in my mind as I walk those the dingy factory I am working in now. I didn't like the place when I first arrived there, and as I got to see how things were organized, I liked it less. I am not saying that the methods are incorrect. I am saying that the culture there has never been a match for my working style. The thinking is a little too narrow for my taste. I am all about a vision and a mission, and thus far, it has been my own that has given me the impetus to achieve.

Currently, I have failed in masking my dis-satisfaction, but I do not think it is too late. My mistake was not forging an identity that goes on when I go to work, one that cannot take things personally because it is merely a role to play, a mask to wear. It is far easier to play the role you envision that to make the sweeping changes of your vision. I mean these are just methods to conceptualize your position, but still . . there seems something to this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I give you one guess to determine my identity.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home