20.4.06

Migrant Ion Farmer VS The Ion Farm

I knew it was going to happen, but I really didn't want it to. When I came into the Ion Farm on Wednesday, things were different. Yes, they had placed a proxy on their internet services that barred you from going to various sites. The list of sites blocked were apparently chosen at random. But no matter, although I was outraged, not at the idea of throttling back some bandwidth, or sheltering my more delicate and sensitive co-workers from the possibility of having their sensibilities offended by that ever-so-wiley internet, or even from the possibility that someone might even be screwing off a little instead of being productive. I guess it's the way, although my sense of freedom was encroached. I had a sense that my ability to choose what was appropriate and what was not appropriate was being supplanted by someone else. This entity had an power that I hadn't come across before, the ability to supplant my resourceful nature, finding information on that old superhighway in the sky. there is no standard, just a knee jerk reaction, conservatively banning all sites by keywords and not by content. I wanted to rebel, to open a forum of discussion about this, about how it could actually be a bad thing. But in this case it was actually easier to do something about it, than to talk about it.

The route I took involved James Marshall & his cgi proxy script which allowed me to put a proxy server on my website to counter the inhuman judgement of keyword filters. You can try it out here:

http://freedomalleystudios.com/cgiproxy/nph-proxy.pl

There's an installer I stumbled across and I had the whole deal up and running in about 5 minutes. It's a good deal and even if you didn't want to go through the whole deal of installing something on some webspace, you could probably do a google search for cgiproxy or nph-proxy.pl and have at it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you brother,
As a member of the U.S. Armed forces I have seen RadioShack.com blocked for "sexual content" and Mouser's electronic supply website block for "racist content". I can tell you that I never met and transistor that judged me by my race, sex, or religion...it just didn't like me. (and that goes for op-amps too ;))
radarmonster

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home